Tuesday, December 4, 2012

'Cause there's beauty in the breakdown.

It seems like such a simple task, to be honest. And yet, I often find that it is one of the most difficult responsibilities I am faced with on a regular basis. Honesty with oneself and with others can be a deliberate act of confrontation with one's own deepest vulnerabilities and weaknesses. I believe that we, as emotional and rational human beings, develop our own systems or facades that help us to shield away our truths. The shields can vary in size and depth; and, more often than not are used to protect us from the people we fear the most. We fear them because they might not understand the real matter that defines our true being. Further than not understanding, they may mock or hurt us. Aside from being honest with others, we also tend to lie to ourselves. We don't know that we are in the midst of the act of lying, but rather our mind plays tricks on us.

How do we move into a state of true honesty, acceptance, and courage? Courage to be who we are - no matter how ugly we feel that our realities may be or how ugly others make us feel they are.

Once, a very close friend of mine explained that only in our most vulnerable moments are we able to truly find human connections. I've come to really understand and consider this statement the older I get. I want to be free of my inhibitions, be free to be vulnerable and honest. I want to be fearless. And in that fearlessness, I'd like to find true happiness and make deep bonds with those around me. This is what motivates me to be courageous.

Somewhere along my path of ups and downs, mistakes and accomplishments, regrets and joys, I hope to find the strength to be honest.

~~~~~~~

"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing
and rightdoing, there is a field. 
I'll meet you there. 
When the soul lies down in that grass
the world is too full to talk about."

Rumi

No comments:

Post a Comment